Thursday, May 29, 2008

My Old Brown Earth; lament in joy

A dear friend died this month, far too young. It was not unexpected. She had cervical cancer years ago and the radiation had left a great deal of scar tissue that damaged her digestive system making it increasingly difficult to process food for her own nourishment. As I looked at her picture, it was hard to imagine a world without that infectious smile and those sparkling eyes. She was beautiful in every respect of the word with a spirit that welcomed, accepted, and encouraged her students and friends. I was deeply mourning the fact that her memorial occurs when I have a commitment at the opposite end of the country....and cannot attend.

Then, tonight, I was listening to a PBS tribute to Pete Seeger. It ended with his song...

To my old brown earth
And to my old blue sky
I'll now give these last few molecules of "I."
And you who sing,
And you who stand nearby,
I do charge you not to cry.
Guard well our human chain,
Watch well you keep it strong,
As long as sun will shine.
And this our home,
Keep pure and sweet and green,
For now I'm yours
And you are also mine.
Farewell dearest Sue. Your molecules are now scattered to the old brown earth and the old blue sky.....you are indeed stardust.....as you were golden.

No comments: