Sunday, July 03, 2011

Ripening Summer at the West Nasvhville Farmer's Market

Saturday morning and a real farmer's market. Not the giant one downtown which has farmers from Kentucky, North Carolina and other nearby states, but one that has farmers and growers that are right here in Nashville.

I found three of my children from school, or rather they found me. There was a singer, folks doing yoga, makers of natural herbal soaps, lotions and other things in addition to food/caterers, farmers of vegetables, fruits, makers of cheese, local honey, flowers, meat from places which raise the creatures humanly on grass (as God intended), candle makers, friends....

I felt as though I had been transported to a medieval fair --- except there was no juggler or jester! Noelle and I wandered around making small talk and finding delightful things to put in our basket she found wonders to photograph (including the basket above). You can see her photos at Photography in a Different Light.

I realized how wonderful commerce can be when it is between real people. Folks with the flowers were bartering for merchandise as everyone wanted some sunflowers or daisies to brighten up their booths! I saw others bartering services and I felt somehow diminished that I was engaged in the gross exchange of mere money!

Check them out if you live on the west side! It was a beautiful morning filled with the joy of ripening summer!

No comments: