Tuesday, March 04, 2014

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid

I have always seen technology as transformational, but of late I am beginning to wonder just what that transformation will be!  Just this morning I was reminded of the frustration and tension that technology introduces in education and daily living.   The title of this piece is purported to be a quote from the wise and sagacious Ben Franklin. Prior to using it, I wanted to have the citation for this wonderful quote.  Where and when did Franklin say these words? 

Honestly, it occurred to me to question the veracity of the quote because I think Franklin might more likely have said,  "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain so."  I was unsure as to the use of the word stupid in the 18th century, and wanted confirmation that he said these words.  After 30 minutes of searching, I had found hundreds of references to this quote, but not one of them with an attribution!

The quote is good, you might say, what difference does it make whether he actually said it or not.  The gospel of Luke says, "If you are faithful in little things, you will be faithful in large ones. But if you are dishonest in little things, you won’t be honest with greater responsibilities." (Luke 16:10)  We would do well to respect this as we use technology.  Dishonest, misleading, or plain stupid all result in the same end.  Intention means little.  How can democracy survive in a world where accuracy and validity are not valued?

Everyday information is disseminated that is not validated, yet it is spoken as though it were the GOSPEL truth.  Sometimes who says something is as significant as what is said.  The chamber of commerce, members of our legislatures, our state commissioner of education, and the news media suggest education fails.  I advise that you do a quick search of thoughts on education over the millennia.  If you do you will find that every age has condemned educators and education.  

As I spend this snow day at home working on improving my technology skills to help students and teachers, I wonder if it is not time to challenge the invalid statistical data that is being bandied about.  It is time to challenge the evaluation tools being deployed to prove that teachers are failing.  It is time to challenge the notion that teachers should be held accountable for another individuals willingness or unwillingness to learn.

I'm thrusting my head out the metaphorical window and crying out, "I'm not going to simply smile and take it anymore." 

No comments: