Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Green Acts Day 1

My green deed for today unfolded naturally but unexpectedly as Kindergarten arrived for their weekly visit. I offered the Green Deed Challenge, and they were excited about winning prizes for doing good.  Once they heard what a green deed was they were curious and interested.

My compost from home sat on my desk in a clear plastic container --- They wanted to know, "What is that?"  We talked about what was in the jar.  They had fun guessing. They were getting excited and started sharing instead of questioning.  It is always difficult to get Kindergarten to understand the difference between a question and a good story.   Like good raconteurs they want to share something from their experience.   Getting to questions requires a discussion of what a question is. We go through the Who, What When, Where, Why and How before we settled back into take questioning.

"Why do we need to recycle?"  A good direct question deserves a simple strait-forward answer.  We need to take care of the earth if she is going to tae care of us.  Suddenly there was a remarkable response. One of them said, "could we save our left overs from lunch for the compost?"  I had not thought of that, but it was a great idea so we talked about what we could put into the compost.  I gave them one of the big plastic containers that I had from candy from an AR party and they proudly returned it to me for the compost! Their first green act the collection of the waste from lunch for our compost bin, but what was even more amazing were the questions and thinking they exhibited.

My second Green act was to pick up the coffee grounds at Starbucks for our compost!  Today was a twofer!


No comments: